With the Battle of the Atlantic 70th anniversary commemorations ongoing it seemed like an appropriate to share a snippet of the area's history which played a small part in that long campaign which kept Britain in the war.
Near Cockersands Abbey on the south east coast of Morecambe Bay there stands a two-storey red brick building, looking at first glance like an antique lifeguard post! In fact, the structure is the remains of a Quadrant Tower - all that seems to remain of the Bay's aerial bombing range.
Althought the site was built to Air Ministry regulations, it was used by the Royal Navy. To be specific, it was used by Number 1 Operational Training Unit of the Royal Naval Air Service operating from Royal Naval Air Station Nightjar at Inskip near Blackpool. The men of the Unit were trained pilots who were undergoing three month stints of anti-submarine drills prior to being posted to an operational squadron or aircraft carrier. When the station was first constructed in 1943, the aircraft in use were antiquated but effective Fairey Swordfish bi-planes.
Operating from small escort carriers, or merchant ships converted into carriers, the Swordfish and their Lancashire-trained crews were crucial to protecting the Atlantic convoys from the German submarines.
Thanks to user n10694 on North West Exploration Forum for some of this information.